
By Mahmoud
Heavy security personnel were deployed around the Ministry of Defence in Abuja on Wednesday as military retirees prepared to protest the non-implementation of consequential adjustments to their pensions.
Personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Army, Nigeria Immigration Service and Vehicle Inspection Officers were seen taking strategic positions on roads leading to the ministry.
Two armoured personnel carriers and more than 15 security vehicles were also stationed around the area, although the planned protest had not commenced as of 8am when the correspondent arrived.
The retirees are demanding the implementation of consequential pension adjustments following salary increases approved for serving military personnel. One of the leaders of the group, retired Colonel Innocent Azubike, said the protest was aimed at securing what he described as the constitutional pension rights of retired military personnel.
Azubike alleged that President Bola Tinubu approved a salary increase for military personnel in November 2025, which he said should have triggered a corresponding adjustment in the pensions of retirees. He expressed concern that despite repeated acknowledgements of the approval by military authorities, the consequential adjustment had yet to be implemented.
The retired officer also raised concerns over another salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect in September. He alleged that although funds had been calculated for the implementation of the new salary structure, pensioners were excluded from the consequential adjustment.
The retirees said they were not opposed to improved salaries for serving personnel but wanted retired officers to benefit from corresponding adjustments to prevent disparities between personnel of the same rank and similar years of service.