
By Editor
At least five persons have been confirmed dead while several others sustained varying degrees of injuries after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, on Saturday morning.
The tragic incident, which occurred in the Gudu District area of Abuja, threw residents and passersby into panic as emergency responders swiftly mobilized to the scene in a race against time to rescue victims trapped beneath the rubble.
The collapsed structure, reportedly located behind Gudu Market near the Durumi 3 axis, was said to have caved in at about 8:30 a.m. while construction activities were ongoing, with labourers and workers present at the site.
Witnesses said the sudden collapse caused confusion and fear in the area as residents and nearby traders rushed to assist victims before the arrival of emergency agencies.
Confirming the development, the Head of Public Affairs Unit of the Federal Emergency Management Department (FEMD), Nkechi Isa, said search and rescue operations were still ongoing as emergency workers battled to save those believed to be trapped beneath the debris.
According to her, multiple emergency agencies were immediately deployed to the scene following distress calls.
“Search and rescue operations are ongoing as emergency responders battle to rescue more persons trapped in the rubble of a collapsed three-storey building at the Gudu District in the FCT,” she said.
Isa disclosed that emergency responders had so far rescued 16 persons from the rubble, with several of the victims sustaining injuries of varying severity.
She explained that eleven of the rescued victims had been taken to different hospitals within the Federal Capital Territory for urgent medical attention.
According to her, the affected victims were evacuated to the Federal Medical Centre, Abuja, Asokoro District Hospital and Maitama Hospital for treatment.
She further confirmed that five persons lost their lives in the unfortunate incident.
Emergency response teams at the scene included personnel from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Federal Fire Service, FCT Fire Service, FCT Police Command, Nigerian Army, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), medical teams and other supporting agencies.
Rescue officials were seen working with heavy equipment while others manually searched through the debris in efforts to locate additional victims feared trapped beneath the collapsed structure.
Meanwhile, Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Lere Olayinka, also confirmed the incident in an online post.
According to him, the collapse occurred around the Durumi 3 axis near Gudu Market and emergency efforts were still ongoing.
Olayinka stated that at least five people had been confirmed dead while ten others were rescued alive after the building collapsed.
He also disclosed that the Mandate Secretary of the FCTA Health Services and Environment Secretariat, Dr. Adedolapo Fasawe, visited the scene of the incident.
According to him, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, directed that all victims affected by the incident should receive free medical treatment.
The directive, he said, was part of immediate efforts by authorities to provide support and relief to victims and their families.
As rescue operations continued, anxious residents and sympathisers gathered around the scene, hoping for positive updates as officials continued efforts to rescue anyone still trapped beneath the rubble.
The cause of the collapse had not been officially determined as of the time of filing this report, though authorities are expected to commence investigations into the incident.
Building collapse incidents have remained a recurring concern in several parts of Nigeria, often raising questions about compliance with building standards, quality control and regulatory enforcement within the construction sector.